OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
To discuss the definition and nature of religion. To answer the question, can you be spiritual and not religious?
- Welcome to the Simple Theologians
- Goofing off
- Show topic intro: Lots of people say, “I’m spiritual but not religious.” Many Christians say, “Christianity isn’t a religion, it’s a relationship.” Is this true? What is religion?
Nature and Definition of Religion
- Religion is only used 4 times in the Bible.
- OT understands religion as “fear of the Lord.”
- NT understands religion as response to the gospel.
- Berkhof: “It may be defined as a conscious and voluntary relationship to God, which expresses itself in grateful worship and loving service.”
Seat of Religion
- Scripture: Heart – the whole person: intellect, emotion, and moral life
Origin of Religion
- Deceptive priests for financial gain?
- Lifeless objects or spirits of ancestors?
- Nature worship?
- But why the religious nature of man? Image bearing man.
- Is religion limited to certain tribes and nations?
- How can we learn to know the real and true nature of religion?
- What terms are used in the OT and NT to describe religion?
- How would you define religion?