Simple Theologian Podcast
OVERVIEW & PURPOSE
To discuss the Trinity and how it relates to everyday life.
- Welcome to the Simple Theologians
- Goofing off
- Show topic intro: The Trinity is the most mysterious of all doctrines. “If you seek to understand it you will lose your mind, if you deny it you will lose your soul.” “We don’t know how it is, just that it is.”
The Statement of the Doctrine
- “Trinity” is not a word found in the Bible but it’s nature is revealed.
- “The real mystery of the Trinity consists in this that each one of the persons possesses the whole of the divine essence, and that this has no existence outside of and apart from the persons.” Berkhof
- Some OT:
- God speaks of himself in plural, Gen 1:26; 11:7
- The Angel of LORD, Gen 16:7-13; 18:1-21; 19:1-22
- Spirit is spoken of as a person, Isa 48:16; 63:10
- Messiah speaking and mentions the Father and Spirit, Isa 48:16; 61:6; 63:9, 10
- NT/Progressive revelation
- Matt 28:19-20
- 2 Cor 13:13
- Luke 3:21,22
- 1 Cor 12:4-6
- 1 Pet 1:2
Why Does It Matter?
- Can we discover the doctrine of the Trinity from nature?
- Are there three separate individuals in God?
- Is one Person subordinate to another in God?
- How can we prove the Trinity from the OT?
- In what sense is the name “Father” applied to God?
- What works are ascribed to each one of the persons?
Patrick’s Bad Analogies