This week we discuss, God. Also, we discuss Mike’s really cool shoes, but that’s neither here nor there. God is the topic and we try to figure out why it matters to grasp the nature of God. We also thought we’d share our show notes with you. Please join the conversation! Twitter: @danielmrose, @revmikeumc, @simtheologian
Topic: Existence of God
- “The attempt to prove God’s existence is either useless or unsuccessful. It is useless if the searcher believes that God is a rewarder of those who seek him. And it is unsuccessful if it is an attempt to force a person who does not have this pistis by means of argumentation to an acknowledgement in a logical sense.” Kuyper — What do you think? Agree or disagree?
- Reformed theology assumes the existence of God. We believe it is a reasonable assumption based on experience of the world and the Scripture. We do not believe that we prove the existence of God.
- Methodist theology…. also assumes God’s existence. No proof necessary. God’s nature is revealed in general and special revelation.
Topic: Knowability of God
- “We don’t what God is in his essential being, but can know something of his nature, of what he is to us, as he reveals his attributes.” Berkhof
- God is knowable but not comprehensible
Topic: Being of God
- We know God through his self-revelation.
- We can’t know him in a genetic/synthetic sense but only in an analytical/descriptive sense.
- God is:
- Pure spirit
- Infinitely perfect
- God and His perfections are one
Ultimately we know God through Jesus. He is the exact imprint of his nature.
If we want to see the Father, we look at the Son.
- In what sense is God knowable and in what sense unknowable?
- What is the difference between inborn and acquired knowledge of God?
- Is it possible to define God? How would you describe Him?
- What is involved in God’s spirituality?
- What do we mean when we speak of God as a personality?
- What proof do we have for the personality of God?
- What do we mean when we speak of the infinity of God?
- How are the being of God and his perfections related?